Alaska 2010

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." Mark Twain

Saturday 17 July 2010

Sunday July 11







Pouring rain.

Got caught up in a TV series on DVD called “Into the West” and watched it until the generator ran out of gas.

Decided to cut across the state and travel the Denali Highway, 132-mile dirt road through the tundra. It’s terminus being the fabled Denali National Park. Saw a couple of moose dunking their heads under water eating grass. Tried to identify some birds and the only tricky one I could pin down was the white crowned sparrow. The road was smooth enough, but long. I could only go about 40 miles an hour max. The views were spectacular. Towards the end, I needed a break. When I got back in I started driving and instantly noticed something was wrong with the truck. I was moving along ok, but not without some kind of strange resistance. After stopping to look at a river, I scanned the truck and noticed that my right front tire was half full of air. The first flat tire of the trip.

With five miles to go to civilization, I decided to just keep driving rather than monkey around finding the jack and dealing with a spare tire. I was about five miles from help. I reached this cruddy looking service station, but at 9:30 pm on a Sunday night, I had my doubts. I pulled in and I met a guy who was a gold panner, cleaning the back of his “log cabin mobile”. The only thing the gold panner and I spoke about were gold and weed, both of which I know nothing about. There was much discussion about ounces, grams and prices, but he was tough to follow. He made a phone call for me and within five minutes, arriving by bicycle, with all necessary tools in one pocket, comes the owner of the shop. He does his thing, I fill it up with air. Before I leave, Gold panner guy offers me a few joints, which I decline. (See photo above of gold panner, actually gold panning)

I made a note to get my own patch kit so I won’t have to pay anyone to repair a flat tire again.

Had halibut tacos at a restaurant for dinner and worked on the blog for quite a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love it when people comment! Please do!