Alaska 2010

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." Mark Twain

Thursday 22 July 2010

Wednesday July 21











Wednesday July 21

Decided to head south to the sea side town of Homer. I never made it.

Saw a neat little Russian church in the town of Ninilchik. There are a few areas in Alaska where there are communities of Ruski's. It makes sense I guess with Russia so close by.

Stopped at a fly shop and, as usual, left with a mission and a map scribbled on a scrap of paper. It was another opportunity to catch a fish I have never caught, the dolly varden. I proceeded to cast in the Anchor River for about 5 hours and caught 3 dollies. They were fairly handsome for a fish, beautiful pink spots on their backs. Good enough……at least I caught one. It was a neat little stretch of river a quarter of a mile or so from the ocean at Cook Inlet. Across Cook Inlet were these giant snow capped mountains, one of which, Mt. Redoubt, is an active volcano, last erupting in 2009. They made for quite a background for the fishing.

Inspired by the fly shop owner’s enthusiasm, I decided to go back to the Kenai River and fish it tomorrow for Red salmon (also called Sockeye). Every type of fish one catches requires a specific set-up of fly, sinkers, line, etc. I got what I think I needed at Fred Meyers and slept in the parking lot ready for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love it when people comment! Please do!