Alaska 2010

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." Mark Twain

Tuesday 29 June 2010

Sunday June 27




Lots of fishing! A welcome break after so much driving. It was a nice sunny day. I stopped at every clear water stream for a while and landed fish after fish...all grayling. It was tons of fun.

You know, most people probably wouldn't willingly plan to go on vacation for a week or so to the Yukon.....but if you're driving to Alaska, you have no choice. You are in the Yukon for 3 days either side Alaska. I can say I am really enjoying it. There are NO people. The roads are empty. The fishing is fantastic. What more could one ask for? I'm wondering if the Alaska portion of the trip lives up to this part in the Yukon.

At about 4pm I packed up my rod and put the hammer down. I stopped in Whitehorse, the capital of the Yukon, for a burger (I'm becoming fond of the Mama Burger at A&W) and passed through the checkpoint back into the USA and Alaska around 11:30pm......I finally made it.

Nancy navigator ran out of info for me....no more navigation. Also no more satellite radio. The last 100 miles before the border the road was absolutely terrible. It had these giant frost heaves...they were so big that if you were moving at any speed at all, you'd get airborne. No thanks. There were also tons of pot holes, dirt, mud, and giant cracks. It was slow going. I actually had to slow down to 10mph at times.

Rained all night.....there's something nice about hearing it on the roof all night.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Love it when people comment! Please do!