Alaska 2010

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." Mark Twain

Tuesday 29 June 2010

Saturday June 26




Managed to watch the USA soccer game in this dive rest stop. Too bad for them.....wish they could have done more. Ghana looked great. Still can't swallow all the diving. Also had a $10 plate of the worst chicken fingers and fries I've ever had.

Got a late start driving because of the game. After a while I started passing these rivers that looked so prime for fishing.....so I tried it. Caught 2 of the biggest grayling I've ever caught....on dry flies too. You know, the grayling is the optimal fish. They rise to pretty much any dry fly easily, they fight and jump like crazy, and they are a beautiful fish with the large long dorsal fin.

Then the stupidity began....

I fuel up and hit the road again. At the next gas stop I can't find my credit card. The nice lady at the store lets me use her phone and I call the guy from the last stop thinking I left it there. Yes indeed I did. So what do I have to do...you got it, drive back and get it. .....75 miles....each way. 5 million miles driven...what’s 150 more......good times.

Also, I'm always amazed and the places that you can get wireless internet. You would think that there is no possible way.......but son of a gun, there's the signal.

Also fun is the state of semi-lawlessness in these little villages... cars that would NEVER pass inspection...scurvy looking dudes driving their 4 wheelers around.

1 comment:

  1. That grayling is nutty looking! I can't believe the credit card story. I have this thing where it drives me crazy to go back the way I came. One time I walked to Ian's work in England and eventually I just had to cut through someone's living room because I would not turn back and find another path. 150 miles!!! Hope they didn't use your card to buy out all of the J Crew catalog.

    ReplyDelete

Love it when people comment! Please do!