Alaska 2010

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." Mark Twain

Monday 12 July 2010

Friday July 9



Back to Silver Lake. It was too good last night. Floating in the tube for over 5 hours, I managed to catch many large rainbows 3 over 20 inches…… and one, the biggest rainbow trout of my life, taped out at a whopping 25 inches. It was insane. I’d troll this full sinking line and about half of my backing and dredge these monsters from the depths. One time I had so much line out that I needed binoculars to see the fish jumping on the other end of the line.

I also had an unusual encounter with a loon, the thing swam about 5 circles around me underwater, surfaced, made the call of the wild like you’d hear in the movies (you know the one), go back underwater, and circle 5 more times. Like, I could see the thing flapping it’s wings blasting around me. It was, well, kinda weird. It was a spectacular day of fishing. Huge trout, nice sunshine, snow capped giants all around…..and zero other people. Another trip highlight for sure.

Paid the all time trip high for gas, $3.95/gal, ouch, but only $4 for a shower....it’s been 6 days since my last.

I was pretty tired and decided to call it a day around 7pm, gourmet pasta with butter and cheese by the river and bed early.

1 comment:

  1. I flippin' love the loon story! What the heck with animals sometimes right?

    ReplyDelete

Love it when people comment! Please do!