Alaska 2010

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." Mark Twain

Wednesday 23 June 2010

Wednesday June 23




The USA hangs on with a thrilling last minute goal. Whose goal was bigger Donovan's or Parise's for team USA hockey in the Olympics....you be the judge. Watched it on the computer at McDonalds.

Ironically, the England game was the one on the TV in McDoo's. I think Canadians could care less about the world cup. I saw a Team Canada Hockey Bookmark in Wal-Mart yesterday for $4. A paper bookmark, nothing special.....$4. There were only 3 left.

Magpies like cinnamon life cereal........more than you would think.

Headed to Banff National Park next. The town of Banff itself reminded me of the uppity little down town of Acadia in Maine. Lots of overpriced shops and tourists with cameras everywhere. Got a little info on fishing Banff, but decided to try the gondola ride first. Afraid of heights, this thing was no picnic. It was a small 4 man job which I rode alone, giving me plenty of alone time to ponder how horrible a death it would be if the thing fell from the sky. It was WAY up. Views from the top were stunning........snow capped mountains in all directions. It was pretty great.

Highlight of the day was the next stop. I try to keep a list of the most amazing things I've seen in my life with my own two eyes. Before today the leader was the view of Half dome at Yosemite from that high lookout point. Taking it's place on top of the list is the view from the back porch of the hotel at Lake Louise. If I tried to describe it here, words and photos don't do it justice..... it was spectacular.....in fact, the most spectacular thing I've ever seen.

It was so spectacular that I decided to buck up and fork out the $26 for a campsite nearby. It was against all my principles to pay the dough, but it meant that I could go back again tomorrow.....and get a hot shower out of the deal too. So I sat on the back porch of the hotel 'til it got dark and I was glad I did.

Got back and made some pasta, you heard me right, made my own dinner....gourmet style with butter and cheese no less.

1 comment:

  1. this bottom picture of the mountains is absolutely incredible. It should b framed or something.

    ReplyDelete

Love it when people comment! Please do!